Saturday, October 1, 2011

Spring Sessions: Part 1

I absolutely love Spring time, it's probably my favourite time of year to fish. The weather is always superb, with crisp clear days and temps in the mid to high 20's it just makes for beautiful days out on the water.

Lately i have been making the most of the fine weather and getting out as often as i can to chase Bream and Bass on surface, as well as test some of the new Ecogear Bream Prawns.

Firstly the Bream Prawns, there isn't much more to say then if your planning on targeting Bream, Flathead and Whiting over the summer then get yourself a pack of these plastics. Fish absolutely love them. My first outing with them saw me score 2 Bream, a Flathead and a little Fingermark. This did not include the 3 bust offs i received at the hands of who knows what. Needless to say next time i head back i am packing the Cod and Jack gear. After that session i decided to take my brother out for another first, his first Bream on a soft plastic lure. He came up with the goods with a cracker fish and i made sure i had the camera handy to capture his first lure caught fish. He now thinks Bream are the freight trains of the estuary. "He's yet to catch a Jack", i said


A good 30cm plus fish taken on the 50mm Bream Prawns
Another good Bream taken on the 40mm Ecogear Bream Prawn
With Bream on the brain i decided it was time to venture into Bream Heaven and chase a few fish on surface poppers. My poison was the new popper range we have from Zipbaits. I did my homework and found a new location, picked some days of 0 wind and headed off on some early morning and late afternoon trips. By far my favourite times to chase Bream on surface.

If you have done any surface fishing for Bream, or any other species for that matter you know how addictive it can be. It doesn't matter what the species of fish it is there is just something about visual fishing that makes it in my opinion the most enjoyable variety of angling.

All in all i had some pretty short and sweet sessions, with one trip in particular i landed 5 fish within about 1.5 hours. I dropped about another half a dozen more in the same session, which brought me back down to earth. Regardless the action was electric, you only had one shot at each fish which made it very challenging, but that swirl behind the lure and the smash and grab take of a Bream hitting the surface is magical. Sunrise and sunset backdrops just add to the picturesque nature of this style of fishing.

One of the first Bream i caught on a popper this spring.

A small fish but any fish on surface is a good fish.

Some of the Bream were getting a bit better in size and the mornings wore on.

A little bycatch while taking the yak out of the water.

Zipbaits Skinny Pops, are one of my favourite poppers for Bream
There were a few trevs about which made for some good fun.

Lucky last. This fish was from my last cast at surface bream for a few weeks. Maybe?

And that's that for now. Part 2 will be all about some recent trips into my favourite skinny water for Mission: Bass on Poppers, including another first my Brothers first Bass on a popper.